This Post is Stupid and/or Lame

Thursday, February 5th, 2009

I admit, I don’t entirely ‘get’ Facebook. I don’t understand all the fans and groups and pokings and need for 4200 applications that send me a fake cupcake.  I just don’t have that kind of time.  I login, I look at what other people say, occasionally bust some Scramble, but most of the time don’t have time to respond to every poke, every request to join such n’ such group and to be quite honest… I don’t much care to.  I try sometimes, but it just doesn’t really ‘take’. But that doesn’t mean that someone else can’t enjoy it.  It’s just not my cup of tea.  Why do I even bother having Facebook, you might ask?  Because I realize that’s where things are right now on these fine Internets.  People use Facebook. We had a book coming out and our publishers recommended a Facebook presence so, I finally caved and set one up. Whether or not I choose to “make the most of it” is my prerogative.

Similarly, Twitter.  At first (and sometimes still) I didn’t ‘get it’.  As an old school blogger, I found the idea of microblogging kind of weird.  I didn’t want to know what everyone was doing right that minute.  But then I gave it a chance and actually quite enjoy it… because I use it the way I want to use it and not how Mr. Know-It-All Blogger says I should.  Sure, it’s almost killed my desire to blog in a sense because I can spit out whatever I’m thinking right when I’m thinking it rather than try to craft a blog post around one clever thought and, like anything else, Twitter and it’s users do things that bug me, but I take it with a grain of salt. Nothing is perfect and I have to assume that somewhere someone finds my tweet-style excrutiating.  Different strokes.

I’ve run into a rash of articles lately that all have a running theme of unholy hatred for Twitter (and/or Facebook).  I don’t mind tips and tricks kinds of articles or the occasional cheeky humor-based commentary (especially #2), but these official-looking “articles” (*cough*blogentries*cough*) that do nothing but complain about how people “aren’t being true to the conversation” or that they “don’t want to know what you had for lunch” really grate.

Guess what? Sometimes I don’t want to know that you went to the laundromat or that you think chickpeas are gross or “OMG Baltar is totally the 5th cylon!”   If that’s the case, I just won’t follow you or I’ll ignore the tweet.  I’m not going to write a highfalutin article chock full of piss n’ apathy, telling you how you should be doing it.  You know the ones with titles like:   “You must do how I do it or you suck.” or “Don’t use Twitter this way because I’m totally an elitist prick and I will think less of you.”   Or… you know, whatever they’re called… they just irk me.  Can I do anything about it other than gripe to you fine people?  No. But I certainly feel better about it.

And, I suppose this is what those folks are doing, too, but I’m not applying any level of expertise to my rant. I’m not pretending to be some kind of guru on social networking and how it ‘should be done’.  I’m just so sick of hearing about how Twitter is “lame” or Facebook is “stupid”. I think it insults the people who enjoy it and belittles the efforts of those who are trying to embrace technology in a way that’s comfortable for them.

We all have things we like or we don’t like about blogging, social networks, web applications, etc. They’re called opinions and they’re totally valid.   But unless you’re paying for it, either don’t use it or sack up and quit talking down to us like we care what you think.

New-ish in peeves
  • 2/5/09 16:48 sizzle:

Damn straight!

That’s why I never have understood trolls because what’s the point of saying mean things anonymously to someone you likely don’t know? I don’t get it.

Though I will admit that sometimes I like to bitch about my pet peeves…but if someone really bothers me I delete them and move on.

sizzle’s recent blog entry: Chasing the Lotus Dream

• 2/5/09 16:49 Joelle:

Right exactly! I bitch n’ moan about things all the time, sure. I’m just not going around telling people that’s how it has to be or they’re ‘lame’. Well, sometimes. ;-) I kid!

• 2/5/09 16:50 Joelle:

Oh, by the way, if anyone came here from a feed and had an extra paragraph in the top that’s no longer here, I decided it was superfluous and the entry flowed better without it. Do not adjust your sets.

• 2/5/09 17:15 Lilly:

Amen! :)

• 2/5/09 19:43 Tony Single:

I guess social networking just ain’t my thing. It’s not that it’s beneath me… quite the opposite, in fact. I find the whole thing exhausting. Trying to keep track of the millions of conversations going on at once and then trying to fit myself somewhere into it all saps me three shades deathly white. I liken it to stepping into a stream of piranhas. Their friendly once you get to know them, but you need to keep up if you don’t want to get stripped and gutted by the frenzy that is social networking – you just can’t afford to stand still and look at the pretty dragonflies! Hmmm… I think I may have mangled that metaphor beyond all rhyme and reason, so I’ll stop there. :P

In short, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with stuff like Facebook and Twitter, but some – like me – find it a hard thing to “click” with. It’s a shame because I know many people who are totally into it! :)

• 2/5/09 20:05 Stacerella:

“…highfalutin article chock full of piss…” Them some of my favourite kinds of articles, girl!

• 2/6/09 4:59 Marcy:

I am so new to all of this you can NOT even imagine!
    Sometimes I feel like the grandpa in Moonstruck ,who at the end of the movie , not knowing what is going on , covers up his eyes and cries ” I’m so confused !”
    Yep.. in this Internet , blogging, facebooking, twittering world… I sometimes just don’t ” Get It”
    but the ol gal keeps plugging away…

• 2/6/09 9:44 geeky:

What bothers me about the “highfalutin article” you linked is not that the writer thinks Facebook is stupid. It’s that even though the writer declares the 25 Things on Facebook to be stupid (to the point of calculating wasted time), she’s obviously taken the time to 1) read through all of them, and 2) pick out the information she likes least about what everyone shared. Hello, pot? Meet kettle.

What I love about the internet is that if I see something I don’t like / don’t want to read, I can easily turn it off. It’s much harder to do that in real life with a live person!

geeky’s recent blog entry: Visit Me on Flickr!

• 2/6/09 11:25 Joelle:

Totally! And honestly, if I were her friend and I saw that article? I’d give her a big hearty delete. How rude to those people who are allegedly her ‘friends’! If you didn’t want to know, then why did you READ IT. *shakes fist*

• 2/10/09 6:24 Shelley:

I hear ya on that one. I just wrote a post about how I don’t understand Twitter…not that I think it is stupid and lame, I just don’t get it. I am sure if I “got it” I would be hooked like everyone else. I get Facebook…maybe too much for my own good, but that’s another story for another day.

I do think people like to put stuff down and show they are above it…like it makes them more important than all the little people Facebooking and Tweeting all around the internets. Puh-lease!

CommentLuv badge